Friday, October 29, 2010

Khet Chronicles: Sunset Over Bloodied Waters (Excerpt)



OK, I couldn't help myself. I just had to post a quick, brief, excerpt from the new Khet Chronicle book I'm working on.

This excerpt has Kalin and Kora in it. If you read the free sample that's posted online through Freado.com from the first book, then you'll know who these two are.

This passage is rough and unedited (the book is still in its first draft stages) but I hope you enjoy it anyways.

***************************************

Excerpt (Ch. 1)



I found Kora outside. She was sitting on the ground under a huge oak, playing with a small twig. I watched as she twisted it between her fingers and then slowly started to break it into tiny little pieces. Her gaze was focused on the ground in front of her, I don't think she even noticed my approach.

“What's going on lady?” Her head shot up in surprise. Yup, I'd caught her off guard.

Her irises swirled with small red streaks from the beginnings of her phase. With a visible shake, she disbursed her energy, letting it leak off into the surrounding air and then smiled faintly at me. Her eyes were now their normal dark blue.

“Oh, nothing.” Her voice said otherwise. There was a note of sadness beneath her words.

“Kora...seriously, you know you're no good at lying. What's going on K.T.? You look like somebody just called you the meanest name in the book and then laughed at you.” K.T. Was my nickname for her. Kora Twymkowski...K.T., get it?

I sat down next to her, leaning my back against the massive oak, noticing the huge shadow it cast on the grassy ground in front of me. I bumped her shoulder lightly with my own, getting her attention. She looked at me and I noticed the beginnings of tears. Oh shit...what can of worms did I just open?

She sighed visibly and reached up, wiping the tears from her eyes before they could fall. “I was thinking about my family—about my mother, my father...my brothers.” She glanced over at me from the corner of her eyes and then quickly back to the ground...








No comments:

Post a Comment