Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Genre?

Okay,

So I always made the assumption that I was a science fiction writer, since my stuff has death but it isn't totally gory, therefore lacking the means to be labeled a horror writer. Okay, I'm wrong!

I am apparently an urban dark fantasy writer! Whoo-hoo!!!

So much more entertaining to be labeled with a three word genre rather than a two or one word one.

REMEMBER: Getting your genre right is important in the journey to getting published. You will be querying agents and you will most likely contact agents that have no interest in your work if you do not figure out what your genre is before hand. You will also list the wrong genre in your query letter which would be detrimental to your efforts considering that the agent will read your letter and then say, "How can I market or sell someone's work when that someone has no idea what kind of work they write?".

Anyways, happy writing to my author friends out there, and good luck on all your current and future endeavors.

Best Regards,

Marcus Twyman

No comments:

Post a Comment